Wednesday, August 12, 2009

A Blog Break From Work

Well, long-time-no-blog. It’s nice to type some words here again after a three-week hiatus. What happens is I get so busy at work during this time of the year that several other activities start to move to the background, including this blog. But I want to make sure I maintain balance in life.

I have had a couple of good conversations with friends in the past few days about how much emphasis we put in our work. I want to be excellent in my job, because I think (1) it honors God, (2) it maintains my integrity with co-workers and acquaintances, (3) it helps others do their job better and (4) I like performing well when I have the ability. I need to make sure, however, that I do not put too much value in my work so that I don’t allow myself to love and serve my church, my family and my friends. It can be especially difficult for me sometimes, because I work in the sports world, which I love so much. It’s easy for me to stay in the office until 1 a.m. sometimes (like the last two nights working on the soccer media guide), because I enjoy it. And while I am grateful that I love my job, I also understand that my identity is not defined by my career. I am first and foremost a child of the living God, redeemed by the blood of Jesus Christ from a depraved condition (that leads to death) to abundant life (that leads to paradise forever). Secondly, I am an ambassador of Christ, called to love my neighbor and let people know how great is the one true God. Also, I am a son of my parents, a brother, a grandson, a cousin, a nephew and a friend to many people. As you can see, being an employee is definitely a part of my identity, but it’s way down the list.

The problem is, sometimes I forget how much value should be placed in some of these roles ahead of my occupation. Honestly, I spend the majority of my time at my job, so it’s only natural that I spend most of my time and effort on that. I write a lot more press releases than notes to my grandpa or aunts. What I must remember is that even while I work, it’s the relationships that matter most. Material things fade away, but relationships last much longer. And a relationship with the eternal God is what truly lasts forever. My priorities should reflect this order of the endurance of things.

Therefore, in a spirit of balance and prioritization, I will try to maintain this blog a little more regularly and work 16-hour days in the office a little less often. ‘Til then, may our days be filled with purpose and joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment