Friday, July 24, 2009

When You Need Chicken on Sunday...

Maybe it’s because I passed by a half a dozen of them while driving in Atlanta (for vacation) today, or maybe it’s because the new store in Oxford (where I live) is taking shape and looks ready to open soon, but I just cannot stop thinking about Chick-fil-A. As I blogged briefly back on June 2, the innovative chicken sandwich creators continue to astound me with their excellence and maintain what I think is the king (and queen and emperor, czar, president, etc.) of fast food chains.

So I visited their Web site. After browsing awhile, I ended up on the page about why Chick-fil-A is not opened on Sundays. And that’s where I learned a profound life lesson - a spiritual truth, in fact, that I had not previously fully understood. Sometimes you find the deepest profundity in the most unexpected places.

You see, Chick-fil-A is not only closed on Sundays because the owners have a strong Christian foundation that demands a respect for the Sabbath, but it’s closed because it’s good for business. And it’s good for the employees. And it’s good for their families. The incredible truth about why Chick-fil-A does not serve food one day out of the week is much more than allowing its workers to go to church, although that is indeed a high priority. The reality is that we as humans are more productive on the other six days of the week when we spend one day resting and reflecting on our creator God. He set it up that way. He even modeled it for us when he formed the heavens and the earth, and everything that is in them, and called it good, and rested for a day. It only makes sense. Who can be on the go, go, go constantly and not be exhausted when the rubber meets the road? Who out there does not have to sleep and relax at some point in order not to go completely insane? I haven’t met the person yet.

I believe that because the Lord God designed a plan for effective labor, it is probably a good one. If we can truly appreciate the value of rest, then we will much better be able to appreciate the more obvious value of hard work. We must not abuse it. We must not be slothful or wallow in sin or waste away hours in pointless pleasures. I am guilty of it, we all are. But if we can have true rest, the kind that is focused on Christ’s goodness and his love for us, and the kind that refreshes our mind and heart by its peacefulness, and the kind that is a grateful reflection on such blessings as we receive with every breath and bite of food and drink of water, then our work days will be richer, more productive, more enjoyable, and generally better in most every way.

Chick-fil-A, in at least one way, gets this. And to salute the corporation, I think I will eat there at least six times a week when the Oxford location opens. Maybe I can get a coupon or something for when my wallet starts rejecting the multitude of visits, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment