Monday, July 13, 2009

“All of History Marches Forward …

to the Marriage Supper of the Lamb.” This is a phrase often repeated by my pastor during his Sunday sermons. It’s a great way to think about the eternal purposes of God throughout the history of mankind and His intimate relationship with His people. A mighty celebration to top all earthly bashes is awaiting those who are brought into everlasting life by the Lord.

Two weddings over the last month in which I had the privilege of being a participant have stirred my thoughts on this topic. At the risk of embarrassing Patrick and Sarah and Chris and Deanna, I must say that I have four friends who represent the best I can imagine among earthly relationships. All four of them love the Lord and sacrifice many aspects of their individual lives to serve so many people around them. And on top of their faith and generosity, they are couples who have such a deep, romantic, committed love for each other that I think represents what a marriage should be like.

These weddings, indeed these two marriages, are such a great example of a man and woman committed to giving up their own lives for the good of the other. However, they are only a picture, a shadow, of the love of Christ for His bride, the church. The very begotten son of God underwent pain, suffering, and death to rescue His beloved. That’s why I can’t wait for this heavenly marriage supper, because if it’s that much better than the two celebrations I’ve recently experienced with my great friends, then I am in a place of unmatched blessing. I can’t even begin to wrap my head around how great a banquet it will be.

No comments:

Post a Comment