Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Oh, the Joys of the Social Media Explosion

You know, for being someone who waited as long as possible until he was essentially required to own a cell phone, I am actually quite stunned by the following: I have a blog. I have a facebook page. And as of today, I tweet. (Side note: I really humor myself by considering what kind of looks one might have received when talking about a blog, facebook, or twitter/tweet just a decade ago, much less a century ago. Images of a black fog, a student asleep on a textbook, and little yellow birds come to mind.) I wonder, is all of this a good thing?

I believe the answer (as usual) lies not so much in the things themselves (which are probably inherently neutral), but in our attitude toward them and use of them. I think we would be wise to follow Paul’s advice to the Corinthians that whether we “tweet” or “blog” or “poke,” let us do it to the glory of God. My goal, as much as the Lord wills and my brothers and sisters hold me accountable, is to keep up with these forms of communication in order to (1) glorify God and enjoy him forever, (2) encourage and uplift those around me, and (3) enhance and maintain relationships among friends and family, all while not letting it bog me down or distract me from primary tasks. The second I fail to follow these guidelines, I would ask that any friend please alert me.

Meanwhile, I’m enjoying the rocket ride on the flames of the social media explosion.

No comments:

Post a Comment